The Kitchen Lead/Supervisor will oversee the daily back of the house kitchen operations in the Cafe 87 and New York Deli restaurants and assist in the production of banquet events. Under direct supervision of the Sous Chef, performs one-on-one training of line cooks. Assist in menu writing, costing, and scheduling for the restaurants. Will also support all banquet and outside catering events as needed.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Two years in a leadership role of a high volume kitchen. Prior experience in management of kitchen operations, menu writing and costing, food preparation; or equivalent combination of experience and education. Two years must have been at the Supervisory Level. Experience in high volume, multi-unit operations in a resort or notable company perferred.
- Maintains a good communication with co-workers and maintains a positive and professional work environment.
- Manages kitchen operations, costs, presentation, production, and BOH staffing under the supervision of the Sous Chef.
- Trains all kitchen employees the skills required of their specific position. Including but not limited to the use and care of the steel, the use of knives and other culinary tools. Keeps safety and sanitation uppermost in mind.
- Teaches the art of butchering, carving, and basic cooking fundamentals in each of the areas supervised.
- Supervises and prepares foods for the assigned area of responsibility as required by production sheets.
- Informs wait staff of any food shortages well in advance of this occurrence. Finds a suitable substitute for the menu item if at all possible.
- Works on the service line of the Grill supervising and training all line cooks in the fundamentals of this line including but not limited to: portion control, plate appearance, and food proper food preparation. Will work on the line and production as required by the business demands.
- Teaches all line cooks the importance of sanitation, cleaning, and safety. Ensures all employees to “clean as they go”.
- Ensures the line cooks prepare a variety of foods in quantities according to the menu and number of patrons to be served.
- Directs activities to one or more workers assisting with preparing and serving meals.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Candidate is required to take a culinary practical.
- Must have valid food handler’s permit and be Serve Safe certified.
- Must have valid title 4 training and liquor management training.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Must be able to lift in excess to 50 pounds and push or pull 100.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain State/Tribal License (including extensive background check).
- Must pass pre-employment drug test.
- Must be 21 or older.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Bend, reach, stand, walk for 34-66% of work day.
- Eye/hand coordination for 34-66% of work day.
- Exposed to hot/cold temperatures for 34-66% of work day.
- Exposed to dust/smoke for 1-33% of work day.
- Sit for 1-33% of work day.
Preference will be given to qualified applicants who are members of federally recognized Indian tribes. To be considered for Indian Preference, you must submit your Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) with your application.