DEFINITION/PURPOSE: Receives calls from the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation concerning crimes and police/fire emergencies; dispatches police/fire to investigate.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.
• Receives emergency and non-emergency police/fire calls for service; prioritizes the calls; dispatches appropriate unit to investigate; relays pertinent information in a factual and concise manner; relays instructions or inquiries from remote units;
• Operates Arizona Crime Justice Information System (ACJIS) computer terminal to obtain vehicle and criminal record information.
• Answers the 9-1-1 phone calls and emergency requests for assistance, utilizes Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) software to document police/fire responses, logs police activities during shift;
• Answers phones and relays messages to administrative offices;
• Assists visitors at front desk by answering inquiries or providing information requested when no other staff is available;
• Contacts other tribal departments and other government agencies to provide public safety services;
• Perform other duties as assigned or required.
• Knowledge of procedures and techniques in police/fire dispatching.
• Skill in determining priorities and handling high-pressure situations.
• Skill in communicating clearly and concisely and relaying details accurately.
• Skill in handling high volume telephone and visitor traffic.
• Skill in the use of a personal computer and job related software and high typing accuracy.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective and cooperative working relationships with other departments of the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation; other interested parties and the public.
1. High school diploma or GED certification.
2. Experience in ACJIS or willing to learn.
3. Basic computer skills, Experience with office equipment.
4. Must be 18 years of age and willing to work weekends, rotating shifts and holidays.
5. Must be able to multitask.
6. Must be able to communicate effectively.
This position is exposed to high pressure situations and must be able to handle them accordingly. It is required to successfully complete a background investigation, polygraph examination and become certified to use the ACJIS computer system. Must submit to a polygraph test, drug test, background check, and complete a six month probation period. Current AZ drivers license and meet FMYN insurance standards.
INDIAN PREFERENCE: Preference will be given to qualified applicants who are members of federally recognized Indian tribes. To be considered for Indian Preference, you must submit your Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) with your application. WILL REQUIRE TO PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREEN AND COMPLETE A BACKGROUND CHECK WHICH WILL REQUIRE FINGERPRINTING